Outdoor Counseling Sessions in Minneapolis with Tammie Rosenbloom, MSW,LICSW
There are several reasons why Walk Talk Therapy is a great approach.
1. Walk Talk Therapy gets clients moving—both literally and figuratively.
2. Walk Talk Therapy is conducted outdoors, being in nature can be meditative and grounding.
3. Walk Talk Therapy is an excellent choice for clients with several different kinds of issues. Clients who are going through a life transition, have anxiety, are experiencing some kind of loss or grief, as well as other challenges tend to do very well with Walk Talk Therapy.
4. You set the pace of the session. If you prefer a meditative, relaxing session of walking or a more active, fast-paced session, Walk Talk Therapy will match your pace.
5. Research studies have shown that physical activity can enhance the mental and physical health of clients. Physical activity has also been shown to reduce levels of depression and anxiety and can help to prevent depressive symptoms.
According to Kate Hays PhD, author of Working It Out: Using Exercise in Psychotherapy, Hays cites three key reasons for combining exercise and therapy:
“Some patients may become anxious when confronting something difficult in a traditional seated, face-to-face interaction,” she says. “Walking in parallel with visual distractions may allow for easier engagement.”
Cathy Brooks-Fincher, a Brentwood, Tenn.-based licensed clinical social worker with 20 years of experience observed that patients at all levels of fitness can benefit from fresh air and exercise when it comes to processing their feelings. She initially began using walk and talk therapy with teenagers who were having a hard time opening up.
“When I took them into an adjacent park, I found that patients were much more relaxed and the sessions were much more productive,” she tells WebMD. “Patients have verified that looking forward rather than directly at a therapist can help them open up.”
Brooks-Fincher also praises the “healing power of nature.” She says many patients consider the association of being outdoors with recreation and vacation, two very positive things that most people want to experience more.
Together, we will take the necessary steps to move forward on your goals.